Hi, BT747 does not properly handle and display the log status of the QSTARZ BT-Q1000X. My observations are:
- The BT-Q1000X has two modes of operation: The switch on the left may be OFF -- the device is off NAV -- the device sends data via bluetooth and USB to the host but does not log anything LOG -- as NAV but in addition data are logged, i.e. written to the flash memory of the device.
- Logging can be checked via NMEA $PMTK182,2,7*<CHK><CR><LF>, i.e. QUERY_LOG_STATUS.LOG_STATUS. Bit 1, the auto-log bit, is set to 0 if the device is in mode NAV but 1 if the device is in mode LOG.
- BT747 properly displays the log status on the log_actions tab, if it is first connected to the device. It seems BT747 is using (2) to check this status and display it.
- One should be able to use NMEA to STOP_LOG and START_LOG, i.e. $PMTK182,5*<CHK><CR><LF> and $PMTK182,4*<CHK><CR><LF>, respectively. However, the BT-Q1000X does not work as expected. What is more, the device responds with $PMTK001,182,5,3 and $PMTK001,182,4,3 to the STOP/START command, i.e. with valid command / packet, and action succeeded. Nevertheless, the device does NOT stop logging. This can be readily checked:
(a) One may check the LOG_STATUS, which shows that the device is still logging.
(b) One may also use QUERY_LOG_STATUS.RCD_ADDR to see that is grows, which means the device is continuing to write data to the flash.
- If set accordingly, BT747 uses STOP_LOG to try to stop logging before it begins to download the data from the device's memory. After having sent the command, the display shows that logging stopped, contrary to the actual state of the device. -- Which is an error.
- The MEDIATEK document (MTK GPS Logger Library User Manual 1.2, dated 11/29/2006) I was using for my own investigastions, is pertaining to the MT3301. The BT-Q1000X has a newer chip. Maybe something has changed here. Well, I am not sure what to make of all this. It does not seem to hurt, that logging cannot be switched off -- as far as reading the memory is concerned. In this case, it all boils down to an error in the status that BT747 displays. But what will happen, if the flash is being formatted? The document says that AUTO_LOG will be switched off automatically. So no problems should occur -- right? Or is there an error in the command to switch off logging of the BT-Q1000X? Can one switch logging off -- with the proper command? -- By the way, does someone have a link of a new version of the document, applying to the MTK II? I would greatly appreciate it!